Monday, March 4, 2013

Cloth Diapering

So, I pretty much relied on blog posts when I was trying to navigate through the world of cloth diapers, so I thought it was only fair that I do one. Hopefully this helps someone out!

We started cloth diapers on E just after she was a week or so old. Now, she is a tiny baby, so my recommendations probably wouldn't be the best if you have a chunk. We started out with a dozen newborn prefolds, a Bummis Super Bright Newborn cover and a Thirsties XS cover (all from http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/ I can't recommend them enough!) as well as 6 Bum genius pocket diapers. Since E was barely 6 pounds, the one-size pockets were laughable on her. Those didn't really start to fit well until 4-5 months old. At first, the Bummi's cover fit the best, and then she started to grow out of that and fit into the Thirsties cover better.

The stash was small, and I was washing every day, but I wanted to make sure we were going to stick with this, before investing any more money into cloth diapering. So we did supplement with disposables as needed, and she slept in disposables too. This kept her feeling drier, and therefore sleeping longer, and was easier for us to clip her breathing monitor on.

Oh, and it is helpful to say that as far as the pre-folds, we have never done any of the specialty folds or used a snappy. We've always just tri-folded and stuck them in a cover. Easy peasy.

We decided we really liked cloth diapering, and so we ordered 2 more of the Thirsties covers in size Small, and 2 dozen prefolds in size small. This way, I can wash ever other day (or longer, depending). The prefolds started out as just being a choice since newborn pocket diapers or all-in-ones are so darn expensive, but now, we really like them. Easy to change, easy to launder, etc.

I have since ordered a couple more covers when one of the websites was having a seconds sale. ($7 covers? Yes please!) They are the flip covers and they work great too. The bonus is that they are one-size covers, so we can use them until she potty trains. Wooohoo!

We've just started using the Bum genius diapers more and more. First, because we now use those at night, and second, because she's in disposables rarely now. So when we are out ad about and/or when she is with someone who isn't really cloth-diaper savvy, we now use those. I love them too, athough they are a bit bulkier, especially since she is so tiny.

Really, we've not had any major leaks with these diapers. I am so impressed with how they contain everything.

The washing hasn't been bad. I do a cold cycle with no detergent and an extra rinse and then a hot cycle with detergent and an extra rinse. I dry the pre-folds and inserts, but hang the covers. It is not really nice enough to hang them outside, so I recently came up with a new solution...a pants space saver hanger in the laundry room. Voila! Perfect.



I am waiting on two new packages of diapers, so I will update when I get those. They are all pocket diapers, and I am way more excited than I should be over cloth diapers. Here's what I'm waiting on:

1. Kawaii Pure and Natural: These are stinking HARD to find, but I have high hopes. They are organic (yay!) REALLY reasonably priced, and they are a small one-size diaper. Most one size diapers go to 35lbs. These go to 22lbs, but still have 3 adjustments, so I am hoping they will be a little more trim and fit my skinny minnie a bit better. They problem is they are out of stock everywhere. I finally found ONE and it is on its way. If I like it, Kawaii is have a 20 percent off sale mid-March and I am hoping that they will restock by then because I have high hopes for these and if I like them half as much as I hope I do, I want a bazillion of them. Or at least enough to hit the $80 free shipping threshold! :)

2. Alva: This is another "bargain priced" pocket diaper company and I ordered a couple of these last week. I want to love them. Mostly because they have the CUTEST cloth diapers out there. Really, any CD Mom who tries to tell you that one of the reasons she CDs is because there are some stinking adorable diapers out there is LYING. Seriously. These are some CUTE diapers. http://www.alvababy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_51_35&products_id=881
Yup, got that one for my baby birdy! Squee. So I want to love them because they are cute and cheap.

Crossing my fingers for GREAT experiences with these kinds! I'll update when they come!

Oh, and anyone who says they save money cloth diapering clearly does not have the kind of obsession with this that I do. I'm sure one day, I may. But right now, notsomuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment