Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The BEST Dad

So, I always knew that Ryan would be an awesome Dad. I mean, he is a kid magnet. This is the guy that got the nickname "Jungle Gym" at VBS. And the one all the cheer parents just gush over. He is so good with kids that when we were in the peak of our issues, I had to ask him to tone it down, as it was just too painful.

But now that Ellie is here, I am constantly amazed by how awesome he is.

Those two have had a lovefest from day one. I was totally jealous of their bond at first, as he was her primary caretaker in the hospital and the first couple days home, while I was recovering from the c-section. I didn't change a single diaper in the hospital, and nor did I bathe her until she was 2 weeks old.

She still smiles for him like no other. They have their bonding time getting ready for bed and then getting the morning diaper change too. And half the time I have to spend extra time calming her down because she is just shrieking in delight.

But last night, his Super-Daddy-ness hit a new high. The bean was impossible. He was on Daddy duty for a couple hours with an extremely fussy baby, and by the time I got done doing some work, she was in full hysterical meltdown, so we bought some time by giving her a bath. As he is bringing her into me, after dealing with Ellie Crabbypants for hours (and trying to calm down the screaming baby for at least a half hour!) he looks at me, and in all seriousness without one ounce of sarcasm, says "she is so amazing!" Any Dad that can put up with what he did and still spontaneously call his daughter amazing is pretty darn awesome himself.

Unfortunately, her meltdown continued, to the point where she didn't want to even nurse. I'm upset, she's upset, and again, Super-Dad to the rescue. Not 2 minutes after he gets her to walk her around from the worst meltdown I've EVER seen her have, and she is zonked out in his arms.

I'm awfully lucky to have him as a husband, but I think Ellie is even luckier to have him as a Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment