Wednesday, February 27, 2013

BLW- a week and a half in

Sometimes I feel like the spokesperson for some "alternative" parenting decisions. Both on here, and in "real life" I will talk anyone's ear off about the benefits of breastfeeding and cloth diapering. I feel absolutely passionate about both. So much so, that I am hoping for more cloth diapers for my birthday (just a liiiiittle obsessed), and I'm  little sad that I have to start solids. Which leads to another non-traditional parenting choice...baby led weaning.

Basically the theory, in a nutshell, is that babies can feed themselves. No spoon "airplanes" and no purees. No trying to get them to eat. Offer food. Then they eat as much as they want. No stress.

Admittedly, I like the no-stress part. And the part where I don't actually have to feed her. It is awfully nice to all be eating as a family without having to alternate and feed her. But honestly, what tipped the scales in favor of this methodology is that even if this is completely bogus, you have got to admit that it is one heck of a sensory experience for the kiddo.

We are a week and a half in. She's tried avocado, broccoli, sweet potato and banana. I am amazed at how well she does feeding herself. And I have evidence that she is eating a lot more than I thought she was, at first. She handles to food, gets it to her mouth, and chomps away. Sometimes she squishes it between her fingers and sucks. She's pretty ingenious when it comes to eating.

It is MESSY. We have learned to strip her down as much as possible for meal times. But it is awesome. I can't say enough about how great it is. Not only is eating an active learning activity for her, it is so much less stressful for me. And it will only continue to get less and less stressful as she continues to branch out and can really eat whatever we are eating.

Yes, people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that we are not feeding her, she is feeding herself. But I added another item to my "passionate parenting decisions" list.

Oh, and it produces cute pictures like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment