Friday, May 30, 2014

You are 16, going on 17...

Dear Baby Scarlett,

Well, you are not 16 weeks, you ARE actually 17 now. I've been so good at writing your letters and keeping on top of it. Then the last couple weeks happened. I've been a bit of a mess on a couple different fronts, and, well, last week's letter bit the dust.

To make up for it, though, this week's will be obnoxiously long and contain a bazillion pictures. Which, let's be honest, is most of the reason why anyone follows along with this blog. They wanna see pictures! So I will oblige.

Alright. Let's start at last Friday. Well, we went up to Grandma and Grandpa Mason's house. We went out to eat and then back to their place to let your sister run amok. You did great, even though it was WAY past bedtime. You gave Grandma and Grandpa sweet snuggles, as always.

Saturday we had our family "Mother's Day", which I already posted about. We got some amazing pics of you, pretty girl! You were kind of a crab during dinner, though, and only wanted to be held by Dad. You are SUCH a Daddy's girl. He can calm you down immediately, just by picking you up. I don't blame you, he is pretty cool.

Saturday night I was feeling REALLY icky as I overdid it at my bootcamp class Friday, so we stayed home in the morning, then I went to the gym in the afternoon, and you joined later. We had more Daddy drama! You were losing it at one point out in the waiting area. Daddy walked out and they told him you had a belly ache. He picked you up and you stopped crying immediately. Nope, you just were bored and wanted Dad. I don't really understand why people don't get that...babies cry, and babies will be babies. It is not like they are sick or hungry every time they cry. Sigh.

Monday we enjoyed the nice weather by hitting the park. I decided that we were going to do a week with no TV, so we hit a bunch of parks. I really worry about the amount of TV you are exposed to, especially because your sister had so little exposure to TV when she was small, and it has been shown to inhibit brain development and vocab skills. Hopefully this week will be a "reset" button for us all.


Anyway, we enjoyed checking out a new park. Your sister had a blast climbing and sliding. And you chilled with me in the shade and watched her!

Tuesday was another day and another park. We went to riverfront to walk and play! You were a doll, as usual and had fun looking around, taking it all in.

That night we decided to head to the park again with a picnic dinner. We had a nice little picnic and everyone enjoyed some much needed family time.

Wednesday we stuck close to home, but enjoyed some sprinkler time. Are you seeing a pattern here? We are outside. A LOT. Your sister loves it, and I have to say, you love stretching out on my new outdoor blanket and just taking in everything around you.

Thurs we headed out to the mall to do some shopping You were a good girl, and hammed it up! Between you and your sister, we sure do get lots of attention these days. I even got asked for the first time this week if you guys are twins! Ugh...no. Ellie is running and you are not even sitting up. I am sure I'll be getting that question more and more as you grow. Anyway, you found a hat that you liked, and proceeded to show off your ear-to-ear grin for everyone in the store. The cuteness? Oh. my. goodness.


Thursday night I had a little bit of a rough time (not related to you two!) so we headed up to the beach for some family play time. We stopped at our favorite sandwich shop and you two flirted with the other customers. Your Daddy and I really are in some serious trouble as you two get older! Then we hit the beach. Ellie had fun climbing and sliding on the playground equipment. And you even got to swing a little with me. Overall it was a great way to make an icky day much better!

Friday I had to deal with some work drama (icky) but you were very patient with me and put a big smile on my face when it was all over. You sure are good at that, Smoosh. I keep telling Daddy that Smoosh snuggles are like some kind of drug...definitely the best mood-enhancer there has ever been!

Saturday was the start of an awesome weekend! We were able to spend lots of time as a family and have lots of fun. Those are the BEST weekends! We started out with a trip to the Farmer's Market. Your sister was into everything, as usual, and you enjoyed looking around, seeing all the new things. Daddy and I picked up some of our favorite coffee...which we definitely need with you two crazy girls to try to keep up with! Then it was back home for naps while I ran to the gym, and then to top the day off, we went to Urban Swirl for some fro-yo. Of course, you had to just watch the chocolatey disaster, but I cannot wait until I have 2 hot fudgey messes on my hands!

Sunday after church we headed up to Grandma and Grandpa Mason's. The weather was perfect and we enjoyed some lake time.



All that fresh air did you in, though, because you zonked out on my chest. There is nothing better than a beautiful day being curled up with my Squish!


After that, you guys went to Grandma and Grandpa Zaher's while Daddy and I went to the gym. They had a lot of fun with you two, even when you got a little bit fussy. 

Monday was Memorial Day, and we were up early to be Daddy's little cheerleaders. He was doing a race called the Murph. He did a mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups and 300 squats followed by another mile run. Isn't that crazy? He finished it in under and hour. Now that is what I call SuperDad! And he even *kinda* had the strength left to pose for a picture with you two.


After a quick stop home for Daddy to shower, we hit the parade. The sun was shining, and you were...sleeping. That's right, you slept through most of your first parade. Sirens and all! Ellie had a lot of fun with her BFF Lily.


After naptime we trekked to Toys R Us. We finally gave in and got a playset for Ellie. The girl is a climbing/sliding monster, and we definitely needed a way for her to get some of her energy out. The good news is that she LOVES it, and so we've spent a lot of time outdoors since that point. 

 Tuesday you gave me a couple little scares. There were some abnormal things about you, and while none of them would concern me ALONE, put together I got a little concerned that my Smoosh wasn't feeling so well. First, you went about 7 hours overnight without wetting your diaper. Also, you were up at about 4am, and those kind of middle-of-the-night wake ups are VERY uncommon for you. Then, you spit up a couple times BIG TIME...and you are not normally a spitter. See how you worried me? So we just spent the day having lots of cuddle time. You kept a smile on your face through it all, even if you weren't feeling the greatest. 


Wednesday it seemed like you definitely felt better...except for the sleep thing! I fully admit that your amazing sleeping habits have spoiled the crap out of me. So you being up twice, 12:30-2 and then again at 4:30 made for a very rough night and tired Momma! It made for a tired Smoosh too, as you would zonk any time, any place after that!


And while being tired really does stink, seeing THIS smile makes it all worth it. Oh how I love you, little one!


I was really worried that the last couple nights of poor sleep were the introduction to the dreaded 4 month sleep regression. With Ellie, that phase was BRUTAL. Easily the hardest time in her infancy. I'm telling you, new moms need help at 4 months. That is when people should be arranging meals, etc. Everyone expects that you have it together, and it is like you hit a wall or something. BUT, I am happy to say, Thursday we were back to our good sleep patterns and so Daddy and I got at least a little bit of much-needed rest. 


Friday it was a gorgeous day, so we hit the zoo! I love doing fun activities with my favorite girls! Ellie got to play on the playground while we cuddled, and see the animals. She was really into the tiger this time! And the kangaroo exhibit as open, so we got to see them hop, hop, hop, although I think she was more excited about the stray bunny that ran across the grass! Go figure!




What else is going on these days? Well, since you are getting more and more aware and alert, you are loving your big brother. He likes you too, and keeps trying to share his toys with you. You know, by placing them over your head. Really, Smoosh, your autobiography needs to be titled "Survivor" or something similar. Because both of your siblings equate "sharing" with "smothering".


But Truff does love you, a lot. He loves to do tummy time with you, although he is a blanket hog and usually takes up most of your blanket space. You like looking at him, even more than your mirror!


And he even shares Daddy's lap with you. He doesn't mind getting nice and close, as you don't have the reflexes to pull his fur like, AHEM, someone we know...




You are also becoming a PRO roller. Still always back to front though. Then you typially get angry that you are on your belly. Silly girl. I assume you'll be rolling the other way soon, but not yet!

You and your sister? Stinking adorable. You IDOLIZE her already. You smile at her like crazy, and she is so good at getting you to stop crying.


Often times when I am in the bathroom getting ready, I'll put you down in your whale tub. Your sister is CONSTANTLY crawling in it with you, and sometimes singing to you "Row, Row, Row, DREEEEEEAM!" 




She is constantly telling you "I kiss you" and "I hug you" in the cutest little high-pitched voice. Oh, and she can say your name now too."Baby Scott". Not perfect, but we're getting there, and it melts my heart nonetheless. 


I love the way you both light up when you see each other and I pray that will always be the case. I want so badly for you two to become the best of friends and I promise that I will do absolutely anything I can to facilitate that!




One little mistake I did make this week: you and Ellie woke up about the same time, so I went and got you and then took you to Ellie's room and set you in her crib while I got her changed and read for breakfast. Uh, now Ellie expects to see you every time she wakes up. And after I change her she wants to be back in the crib so she can play with you. I love it! I hope you two are this inseparable always.




Of course, there are also sometimes issues. Ellie still has a little trouble with sharing and tries to take your toys. We're working on it. Oh, and we had a funny conversation with Ellie at dinner:

"Do you love Truffle?" "Yes"
"Do you love Daddy" "Yup!"
"Do you love Scarlett" "No!"
Hmmmm....I'll try again
"Do you love blueberries" "Um-hmmm"
"Do you love climbing" "Climbing...Yes!"
"Do you love Frozen" "Whooosh. Yay"
"Do you love Baby Scarlett" "NONONO"

I think she is fibbing. But that sister of yours sure is a stinker!

So, those are the happenings these past couple weeks. And while it has been crazy like usual, I remain so thankful for all those little moments that we get to steal where you give me sweet smiles, or look at me all milk-drunk and woozy before you fall asleep. Time is going much too fast for my liking, but I also just love seeing your personality emerge and you interact with others. You are such a special little girl, and I am so lucky that I get to be your Mommy!

I love you,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment